Monday, November 24, 2008

Reasons...not Excuses

No excuses – only good reasons for not getting out on the road this morning. You see, a warm woodstove casts a certain warm and lovely hypnosis. Add a delightful cup of coffee and a footstool and soon all thoughts of running a few snowy kilometres at -10 seem futile. I did, at least, wear my running gear.

We got dumped on over the weekend. About 40 centimetres of snow (about 16”) fell Friday night and into Saturday morning. It was quite a surprise. At home, we had a tough time to dry the kids’ snow pants and mitts fast enough! There is rain and warmer weather in the forecast this week so hopefully we’ll see the bare ground yet again this month. And, maybe I’ll get out running tomorrow morning. Maybe.

And the goofy poll about washing your running gear. Yeah, that was an experiment of sorts but interestingly, there is a tie between the 'once-a-day-washers' group and the 'when I can't stand the smell' camp. Personally, I have to throw in with the 'when I can't stand the smell' people'. Thanks for your consideration.

And, I bought a new strap for the Timex Ironman. That's the third strap to match a third fresh battery. Guess I'll keep it for awhile.

17 comments:

Sonia said...

Shoveling is as hard as running sometimes! lol Especially when 40cm of snow falls.

Too late to vote but I am in the once a week group.

Marlene said...

Holy, that's a lot of snow! I wouldn't have ventured away from the wood stove either. Stay warm!

Brad Braden said...

hmm yeah tough call between a wood stove and running in the snow.. likely would have made the same call.

cheers.

Wes said...

Drinking coffee by the stove in running gear TOTALLY works for me :-) As far as washing goes... If I don't get it too sweaty, I'll wear it twice, no more!

Lily on the Road said...

after last winter, I will and still do consider shovelling as cross training!

Nice ambiance in front of the wood stove wearing your running gear, sweet...did you tell any tall tales??

Run Mommy said...

Shovelling is hard work! Good call.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Yikes, that is a lot of snow! And it definitely counts as cross-training in my books :) Good luck digging out!

ShoreTurtle said...

Wow! I'm totally jealous of your snow. Work would be closed for a week here.

Nikemom said...

Good luck with that cross training! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I love wood stoves. J's mom has one in her house that heats it, up in New Hampshire. Wow, you got snow! We haven't had any and no forecast yet! Just cold and sunny and beautiful. (rain later this week I think)

Backofpack said...

I missed the poll. Didn't even see it. I wear once and wash, because, though I am quite lady-like and delicate, I sweat like a logger. Eric will come in with slight glow and I will be dripping. Sheesh!

Snow!?! So, the winter begins...

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is some snow!

Keep it. :)

Darrell said...

One run, no matter how long or short, is all they get then it into the washer. But these things never seem to wear out. I have the first tech shirt I ever bought and the first pair of real running shorts too.

If I had a wood stove I don't think I'd ever leave the house, unless I ran out of wood.

X-Country2 said...

Dang, that's a ton of snow! I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of weather.

Ginger Breadman said...

considering the warm stove or a run in the snow would be a tough choice. If you didn't get snow very often, then the snow would win out, but when it first snows and it's heavy and wet and cold and that warm stove gets to you first . . .

RunnerMom said...

As a lifelong resident of southern Kentucky and Tennessee, I've never actually seen 16 inches of snow. Wow. How on Earth are you going to get your marathon training miles in??

Snow shoveling is great cardio I hear!

I'm excited to follow your training for the marathon. I toyed with the idea of one at the end of April, but I'm not mentally there. I can't even wrap my mind around training until January.

How can you tell that you are mentally ready this time?

Glad to have you on board for the Holiday Challenge! And yes, my two-year-old especially is quite confused about the house thing!

iJuls said...

Wood stove and running wear? It sounds like a perfect way to enjoy the time. And on the when to wash topic: I have done both but am currently wearing once. I have plenty of running wear to do this without having to actually do the wash more than weekly. I just dump the sweat clothes into the washing machine on the way into the house (from my workout bag) and choose another setup the following day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin