22 hours ago
Friday, October 17, 2008
I've been tagged by Sarah and I've been putting it off wondering what the heck to confess for a few days. Brace yourself for six random things about me:
(1) I love to bake. I don't bake near as often as I used to but I do have a secret chocolate chip recipe that I've developed and refined over the years. The kids love my cookies and beg me to bake them. The key to baking perfect cookies is knowing precisely when to pull the pan from the oven. I used to work early morning radio and had the afternoons off to play in the kitchen. While V was at work - and long before we even dreamed of a family, I would ply my craft in the kitchen. I once baked a 10 egg carrot cake. Once.
(2) I've met and hung with Garth Brooks on several occasions. Through various radio gigs I had the fortune or misfortune to meet hundreds of bands, singers, songwriters. One of the strangest gigs was introducing The Blind Boys of Alabama. The promoter for the event escorted me to the 'green room' to meet the boys before the show. He promptly left me there alone with the band. Picture this: 5 blind guys scattered around the room quietly mumbling to themselves. KFC bones and scraps littered the floor. These guys are really blind. I awkwardly introduced myself to the boys and tried to force a little conversation but it didn't go far. Finally, one of the boys, who must have been 70-75 years old piped up..."let's get this mess on"! Translation: Show me to the stage so I can hurry up and go home.
(3) I once rode an elephant into the circus ring. You have to grab them by the ears and step on their knee and hoist yourself up. There's really nothing to hang on to. I didn't really enjoy that but pretended to just the same.
(4) I spent 24 hours on a raft in December - live on the radio raising money for the YMCA. The raft featured a porti-potti and a nice view of the river. I also spend 12 hours on a cold windy November day 80 feet up in cherry picker broadcasting live with just a bucket to pee in. I did lots of dumb things.
(5) Back in university a buddy challenged me to date a different girl every night for a whole month (I remember it was March 1982...31 dates in 31 days). This guy is now a pastor. I still take his advice.
(6) My 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet are partially webbed. I know, that sounds freaky. I won't bother to insert a photo today. Someday though if there's enough interest. I never grow tired of hearing how fast I must be able to swim and why didn't your parents fix that when you were a baby. People, really. They're just toes.
I'm not going to tag anyone. The party ends here - unless you want to share something about yourself as a comment. Feel free.