Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chance Meeting

ShoreTurtle emailed to say he was heading to Nova Scotia. I tried to persuade him to stay home. I explained that it would be foggy, rainy and that we were still buried hip-deep in snow. He didn’t bite.

Last evening, Victoria and I were so pleased to entertain the ‘Americans’ from New Jersey - ShoreTurtle
and Redhead Fangirl! I probably don’t have to tell you this but you should know: They are super people; fun, thoughtful and altogether loveable. It was a meeting akin to a reunion of old friends.

What’d we do? Well, we met at 6pm at Mahone Bay’s Mug & Anchor Pub with a round of Keiths followed closely by mussels, salad, pan-fried haddock, scallops and the like. It was a lovely warm summer evening for dinner on the 2nd floor patio. The famous “Three Churches”, yachts bobbing in the bay, osprey and black-winged gulls swirling – a Nova Scotia postcard perfect evening with friends.

I knew the fog would be in. Regardless, we piled into the RobbRunner mobile and skirted through Mader’s Cove, Sunnybrook, Prince’s Inlet over to Lunenburg and later Blue Rocks. You couldn’t see your hand for the fog. Oh well.

We wound along through First South, Rose Bay and Kingsburg to Hirtle’s Beach. We actually got out to touch and feel the sand. Too damp and foggy. No fun at all (I warned them…but oh, now, they had to see it for themselves). Reloaded and headed through Riverport, Upper LaHave, Dayspring and into Bridgewater – over to the house for a visit. In came the boys and we fired up the music. Sam on piano, Chris on guitar and Jon on Fiddle (Ben pounding drums).

ShoreTurtle and Redhead Fangirl are my kind of people - typical of the larger running community. I am so glad they could visit with us.

9 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

We have a house in Mahone Bay! I'm serious. How weird to stumble qn this blog. We live in Texas but are from N.S. and have a house we rent out.

I'm going there next month!

Glad to hear teh Mug & Anchor is alive and well, I spent many many times there. And buy cool things at The Teazer.

have fun.

Backofpack said...

Sounds fun Robb. I hope someday you are writing a post about Eric and I visiting. I can only dream...

RedheadFangirl said...

Could your family BE any more excellent? I don't think so! You showed us such a great time-- and laughed at our jokes. V is just the coolest, and the boys are just beyond talented.

I think anyone who even enters Nova Scotia should spend some time with the RobbRunner clan.

Thanks!!

ShoreTurtle said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a terrific evening. Your generosity and hospitality made us feel welcome and among friends. Your boys are so talented. We felt fortunate to be treated to the jam session.

I'm so glad that I ignored your warning to stay home. Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. We are enjoying our holiday immensely.

Next time we meet, we'll go for a run. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

that's it. I'm packing up the kids and coming to your house

Legs and Wings said...

Hey jannie sue "funster" - hope to see you in MB this summer - maybe we'll jam.

BOP - I have invited you in the past...when are you coming? Cheaper for you to fly to Boston or Bangor and then drive across the border. If you get here and we're not home - the door is always unlocked. Make yourself a cup of tea (bags are in the top drawer by the window).

Please come and visit anytime. I'm serious. Just let me know when.

ST and Redhead - come again eh. I hope you do. We'll keep in touch. Say hi to Anne of Green Gables for me!

stepping...get your butt over here. I took note of a session coming up called "Paint Mahone Bay". Here's the link: http://www.settlersmuseum.ns.ca/events/pmb/ Bring your brushes...and you boogie boards. We've got a spare room too.

Rae said...

That's so great that you guys got to visit! We met them in Philly a few years ago and it was like we've known them for years!

Darrell said...

Isn't it great to meet some fellow blogger/runner - kindred souls for sure.

I love myself a nice cloudy day now and then, but just when is summer in Nova Scotia, July 11-25??? lol

Unknown said...

How can they not visit the area when they have such wonderful hosts? I am with Michelle. I hope to visit your neck of the woods some day as well.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin