Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thoughts on Winter

Thankfully there is a bit of snow, otherwise, the immediate landscape would appear dreadfully dull in Nova Scotia. Looking out to the ocean is another thing.

I see my way through this time of year but many do not. It’s rough. No question, January is a hard month but it is also a great month for new beginnings. I am not making any specific resolutions for 2009 but am simply looking for a little sharper discipline in my life. There’s a lot to work on. Running will pick up again soon - maybe tomorrow.

Some people love winter. For the record, I am not one of those people. Winter is, however, a favourite time of year for my boys. They love digging and floundering in the snow, seemingly oblivious to the wet and cold.

The older I get the more I believe that winter is really a gift for kids. I've got proof as you'll soon see. We had the great pleasure of visiting with friends over the weekend just outside of Lunenburg. They work a beautiful piece of land right on the ocean. It's unbelievable!

We warmed up afterwards with some sausage soup, a wood fire, guitars and fiddles!





12 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

You "easterner's" always have such a great time!

Vava said...

Nice pictures! It's totally true about kids loving the snow - my boys shovel snow that doesn't even need to be shoveled just to stay outside longer! I miss NS and it's winters too... (Toronto is just a sloppy mess most of the time at this time of year.)

ShoreTurtle said...

The photos are exceptional.

Backofpack said...

Robb,
You have a gift for photography! I am one of the strange people that loves winter - of course, our two weeks of snow is unusual. I did spend a winter in Colorado where the snow never left the ground from November to March - I even like that (of course, I was young and foolish). Right now we are suffereing from constant downpour - it has been raining for more than 24 hours and rivers in the area are flooding. Eric and I live on a hill above the valley (at 475 feet) so we are quite safe. Can't say so much for some of our favorite running trails - I just saw pictures of them underwater. This is all to say, winter PNW-style has it's own challenges!

justrun said...

Winter must be a gift for kids, and I'm clearly no longer a kid. Brr.
Great photos!

movin' down the road said...

beautiful photos. wow. your winter looks nicer than ours. Ours is very slushy and icy at the moment. The kids look so cute!

Melanie said...

Amazing pictures! I am not a fan of winter either... i think it is for kids!

Darrell said...

I believe you are correct about kids and winter. I remember enjoying winter in OH as a child myself, now as an adult in CA I don't miss it one bit.

Sonia said...

Love the third photo where you daughter is going down on the slide! She looks so happy =)

I also HATE winter..... I've been shoveling like crazy for the past 3 days.

Anne said...

I miss winters, but I also agree with you that kids appreciate them more -- maybe because they don't have as many hassles like driving to and from work in snowstorms. Great pictures, as always!

RunnerMom said...

These photos are incredible. I like the thought that winter is a gift for children--very poetic.

Juls said...

You photos are amazing. WOW!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin